Monday, February 19, 2007

ParaSpheres


Couple of updates:

I finally paid for a life-time membership with LibraryThing, so I will be obsessively cataloging my books in the upcoming weeks. Woohoo!! Once I'm done, I will post a link to it, so all five of you that read this can see my library =). If you have a LibraryThing account, be my friend! I promise I won't bite.

I'm currently reading ParaSpheres: Extending Beyond the Spheres of Literary and Genre Fiction. This is one of my favorite anthologies of 2006, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a solid sample of fiction of the fantastic. (The picture on the cover is from one of my favorite artists, Michael Parkes. I will do another post on him sometime in the future.)

Of the many talented authors I have read so far in this collection, the one that stands out to me the most is Leena Krohn. ParaSpheres features 3 stories from her (she is that talented). Ms. Krohn is a prolific and prize-winning Finnish author. Only one of her novels has made it into English translation: Tainaron: Mail From Another City. Amazon.com gives an excellent summary, and if anyone is interested in an excerpt, leave me a comment and I'll send you a link to chapters of the book.

I am also highly anticipating the release of Leena Krohn's novel, Pereat Mundus. Omnidawn, the same publishers that put out ParaSpheres will be releasing this sometime in Spring 2008. This novel written in 36 chapters will contemplate a variation of apocalyptic futures. If the three spectacular stories from this novel included in Paraspheres is any indication, this will be some of the best fiction published in 2008.

No comments: