Friday, October 13, 2006

Returning from an Hiatus

It’s been slow on my side for posting partly because work has been busy for the last couple of weeks, but mostly because I have been taking an hiatus from reading to spend hours and hours in front of the TV.

This probably has a little to do with the fact that I have been trying to cram a lot of reading into my schedule. And it was beginning to get to me. Everything I was reading had begun to sound the same, and have the same depressing message. The charms of adult literature (vs. children’s literature) is that it makes a more determined attempt at observing or capturing “truth” as defined by literary types. The downside is that after thousands of years of this, almost every person who has spent any serious amount of time thinking about the issue happens upon the same conclusion: the world sucks, we suck, everything sucks. (New book for the people who wrote everybody poops perhaps?)

Of course there are moments of the non-sucky type, but those don’t usually get you past the general suckiness that makes up most of the world we live in; the world we have created for ourselves.

Hence my escape from books to the fantasy of tv. Where the first criteria is that everyone is either pretty or ugly/fat-but-funny. Where good triumphs over evil, where, in fact there is a strong blackline that most of the time distinguishes good from evil.

Sure sometimes writers in this day and age murky up the waters, but never enough so you stop rooting for the right side or turn away in disgust (The Wire may be the only exception). So its nice to be there in tvland, to believe that people will stand together for truth, justice, equality for all, because it sure the hell isn’t what’s happening in real life.

Anyways I digress. I love TV right now. Still, I’m crossing my fingers that the industry gets smarter and end the shows where they are suppose to end. And in the meantime, I think I’m ready for my next round of reading and hopefully posting.

No comments: