Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The Moving Dilenma

It's time to start up this blog again. I will be moving fairly soon, which brings up fond memories of last years move--- no not really, that's just me being sarcastic.

I hate moving. I hate having to do it so frequently and knowing each time that it won't be permanent. Still, I guess I can be thankful that this move will take us out of the city (relatively speaking) and into a nicer, quieter area, with trees, and a huge balcony. I have always had a penchant for balconies. I think if I had my dream apartment, it would be on the 30th floor of a huge high rise with a balcony overlooking the rest of the city. I know, the irony is that this fantasy is probably someone else's nightmare.

The move is also a good time to get rid of all the stuff that I have managed to accumulate and couldn't bear to get rid of in the last move. Mostly, I'm determined to get rid of all that clothing that I never wear and never will wear.

Then there are the books. I have already packed four suitcases full of books, and there are still two full bookcases to go. I think I need to put a portion in storage until I have more space. It's hard to know which books I will be parting with. Certainly not any of my anthologies or short story collections. Nor my favorites or anything in my TBR pile. And it's hard to pack up the classics because you never know which day you'll finally be in the mood to read Faulkner. I should pack up the heaviest books: art books, coffee books, and my collection of Folios. But the thought of Folios sitting in a box makes me cringe.

That's why I'm waiting until after the move to make the decision; to see what my new apartment will be able to hold before I have to make choices. I know not the wisest thing to do, but there you have it. Anything to delay the moment where I have to put some of my books in a box and send them to West Virginia.

3 comments:

steph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steph said...

"you never know which day you'll finally be in the mood to read Faulkner."

hahaha ^___^. I know exactly what you mean. For this reason, I still have my copy of John Steinback's East of Eden sitting on the shelf gathering dust. By the way, I just finished Atonement this weekend, and the ending tore me up too. I started crying in the coffee shop I was at, and it was embarrassing. I'll write an email shortly =).

Also, I just saw Stardust tonight, and it was OK, but I haven't read the book. It may be wise to keep your expectations low. I can't wait till Atonement, the movie, comes out though!!

Anonymous said...

I might avoid it all together than. The book really was not memorable...I'm also sort of excited about The Golden Compass that's coming out in December. At least visually it looks really stunning. But I really don't have much faith in the director, who left and then came back later on. So who knows.

I'm going to try to read His Dark Materials one more time, in desperate hope that I will find it more appealing this time around before the movie comes out =).

And I'm really excited about Atonement as well. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful movie at the very least!
Cindy