Tuesday, January 09, 2007

An Enchanted Bestiary

Another book I got for Christmas was Sowa's Ark: An Enchanted Bestiary, an artbook filled with the whimsical paintings by the German artist Michael Sowa. I love his work for its fascinating and often surreal paintings of animals.

Some people may recognize Sowa's name because his artwork is featured in the film Amélie. His paintings adorn the walls of Amélie's bedroom, and at one point come to life to have a conversation about her love life.

Here are several pictures taken from the book. As the artbook has gone out of print several times, and it is incredibly hard to find compilations of his work in the US. Those who are interested in getting a copy should do so sooner rather than later.











2 comments:

visionbird said...

Hi Cindy,

These are gorgeous paintings! I just founda bookcalled "little King December" which is illustrated by Sowa, and I was curious about Sowa's Ark. Thanks for sharing the paintings!

(And though I don't hope for rain, do enjoy your rainy day reading of The Steam Magnate!)

Dana :)

CC said...

Thanks Dana^_^, I definitely will!