Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The second book looks to be more promising. Kazuo Ishiguro evokes the same feelings I had when I was reading Cat’s Eye by Margaret Atwood. Never Let Me Go is a story spent on reminiscing, of childhood, of friendship, and of things that are boiling under the surface. Kathy, Ruth, and Tommy go to a private boarding school called Halisham somewhere in England. The book serves as a memoir to their relationships, and the knowledge that there is something special about the children of Halisham. As Kathy and the rest grows older, ever aware of their specialness, they must come to grips with their lives and the meaning behind them.

I am not going to give away the plot, although you can’t escape it if you’ve ever heard of the book. What’s with reviewers these days? If you look at almost any of the reviews about this book, you’ll see the plot that takes the author 2/3rds of the book to slowly unravel completely revealed in the first couple of sentences. As if today’s readers can’t be bothered to discover what lies within a book’s covers without someone else rehashing it for them first.

If you don’t know the book’s premise, I advise you to pick it up without looking online at reviews. It’s a fast read, and it’s better if things dawn on you as you read the book. This is a book about the potential of our world, and the devastating effects it will have on future generations (err I was just told that that's not what the novel is about at all, and I'd have to agree after some things were pointed out to me, so I will have to say that the novel is really about uhm humanity---keeping it broad to save myself more embarassment down the road). Kazuo Ishiguro is also famous for The Remains of the Day.

No comments: