Friday, July 28, 2006

The Scar

I've just finished reading China Miéville's The Scar. I felt that as a whole The Scar was lopsided, with character development and plot reaching an equal pace (or at least a more effective unity) towards the last third of the book. Not to say that I didn't enjoy the hell out of everything that came before it.

The depth of imagination on display in The Scar is remarkable, and is testimony to Miéville's absurd world-building ability. I haven't read Iron Council yet, but I sure as fuck hope he gets back to Bas-Lag (the world in which The Scar takes place) again or at least releases the reams of notes he's written about it.

If you do not care about spoilers, here are a couple of reviews you may want to glimpse at:

  1. Jeff Vandermeer's review
  2. William Thompson's review (which reveals A LOT more than Jeff Vandermeer's review)

With that said, The Scar is well worth your money.

Sidenote: Did anyone else feel sympathy for the Avanc, or is that just me being irrational?

No comments: